Saturday, January 26, 2008

Things I Learn About . . .

I took my girls on a walk today . . . one at a time, of course. As some of you know by experience, you have to be stupid to take them both at the same time . . . or in desperate need of an arm workout. I took Abbey for 30 minutes (5 walk 5 jog, repeat) and Zoey for 30. I haven't walked them in quite a while, but I learned some things about them while being reminded of some things I had forgotten.

1. Abbey will not drink from a puddle on the ground. Zoey will.
2. Both will go all the way across the street if necessary to avoid being hit by a drop of water from a far reaching sprinkler.
3. Zoey does not do well if there is another dog anywhere in the vicinity, be it leashed, unleashed, or corralled in a backyard. This was not a surprise.
4. Abbey, though she does not do well if a dog barks at her from behind a fence, does just fine around a dog that is loose or on a leash (This was a surprise.)
5. I must take Zoey first from now on. She has much more energy than Abbey.
6. When Abbey stops to sniff something, I must stop, too. To continue jogging is similar to attaching a leash to a metal sign post and then taking off with the leash in hand. (Go ahead, get the visual. It was really funny to the people across the street who saw it happen.)
7. Zoey has severe ADD. She cannot stay on one side of the sidewalk, and she turns her head and tries to run in the direction of every sound she hears, every movement that catches her eye, etc.
8. Abbey is a much better dog walking partner than Zoey. She also does not have as much energy, which is better for me!

So, there you go.

Goal update: I have lost 7 pounds, I got back on track with my Bible reading (after a week and a half off), but my reading list doesn't have a dent in it. I am no where near ready for a 5K, but I can finally jog 10 minutes straight without feeling like I'm going to die. Monday we start with 15.

Peace to you all! (All 4 of you!)

No comments: