Sunday, December 26, 2010

The Conclusion of La Saga del Arroz . . . Loosely Translated to "Rice Drama."

I confess to being the worst blogger, ever.  It's not that I haven't wanted to, it's just that I haven't really had anything I felt worthy of posting (read: that anyone would want to read.)  Most of the eventful happenings lately have been sufficiently summed up in 140 characters or less, and therefore posted on Facebook and Twitter.

However, I am not starting my second week of vacation, and with a nightmarish amount of housecleaning and several trips to stores for exchanges ahead of me, I suddenly want to blog more than anything else.

So, the update/conclusion of the Saga of the Rice.  (You can find the back story here: A White Girl's Mexican Fiesta  and here:  How to Make Rice, Courtesy of Facebook)

The Saga del Arroz continued on well past the September attempt.  I tried my microwave rice cooker multiple times.  It's crap.  I got a bagful of boil in bag rice, microwave rice, Minute Rice, etc. for my birthday from a wonderful friend.  (And a really great smelling candle!)  Not that the rice wasn't appreciated, and it has in fact all been used up.  But it just doesn't taste the same.  Plus, this was far beyond just making rice for me.  Oh, yes, this was now about my pride!  I mean, really, is rice really that hard?  (Yes.)  Who can't make rice?  (Lots of people, I keep telling myself.)  I refused to be owned by that tiny little grain!  (Though deep down, I knew I ultimately would be.)

The microwave rice cooker has been tossed in the trash.  I guess I could have kept it to steam vegetables with, but they make microwave bags for that.  And unlike rice, they do taste the same!  I now have a shiny new plug in rice cooker, courtesy of my sister and brother-in-law.  I'm sure the motivation was purely genuine, though I'm sure a little ironic snickering went on, too.  (You guys know I'm right!)

So today, I pulled it out, cleaned it and tried it for the first time.  Followed the instructions EXACTLY.  (Not that I hadn't the times before, but. . . well. . .  )   Measured the rice with the little cup that came with the cooker (really, World, why can't we just all get on the same measuring system?)  (Did you know there are even different Metric Systems???  No lie. Click here and scroll down if you don't believe me.)

Rinsed and soaked my rice (I used brown), plugged it in and waited.  When I walked by 30 minutes later and it was done, I panicked.  I always had to cook brown rice on the stove top for an hour, and it STILL came out undercooked!  But I waited 5 more minutes because the directions said to (and I wasn't sure exactly when it finished cooking) and I texted my sister and my friend to tell them that in 5 minutes I would either be eating perfect rice, or posting yet another failure story in which I admit complete and utter defeat, resigning myself to Minute Rice for the rest of my life.  (Which is fine, but we like to fry rice, and Minute Rice just doesn't hold up as well.)

I opened the cooker, and BOO-YAH!!!  PERFECT RICE!!  PERFECT RICE!!  PERRRRRRRRRFEEEEEEEECT RIIIIIIIIIIICE!!!!!!!!!!  YOU'VE BEEN OWNED, RICE!!  BY ME!!  BY ME!!  HOW DOES THAT MAKE YOU FEEL, TO BE OWNED BY THE WORST COOK EVERRRRRRRRRRR!!!

Crap.  Now what am I going to write about?

No comments: