Tuesday, March 9, 2010

A White Girl's Mexican Fiesta. . .

All weekend I have been looking forward to my dinner plans for tonight.

I had planned to make an authentic Mexican dinner:  homemade tortillas, homemade Mexican rice, homemade salsa, and tacos, all of which I have done before, just not usually in one evening.  (Let's not get carried away. . . I buy Old El Paso taco seasoning in the big shaker jar.)

So I come straight home from work and begin the process.  I will skip the boring details and just tell you that it is now 8:15, I've still had no dinner, and Mexicans everywhere are shaking their heads at me.

The tortillas are useless.  I rolled them too thin which caused them to cook way to fast.  They taste good, but are more like chips than tortillas.  Not very conducive for tacos.

The salsa either has too much of something or is missing something.  Not sure which.

I should never be allowed to cook any kind of rice other than Minute Rice.  When I try to use "real" rice, I screw it up every single time.  Somehow, I always manage to get half of it cooked, but then I run out of moisture before the other half cooks.  The weird thing is that when I say "half," I don't mean "left/right" half, or "top/bottom" half.  It is all mixed together, as in if you put a spoonful in your mouth, half of it will be cooked and half of it will still be hard.  If anyone can figure out how I do this, I welcome tips.

The final straw was the taco meat.  At 7:50 I discovered, much to my dismay, that we are out of Old El Paso taco seasoning.  I am unsure how that happened.  That is a staple I always make sure we have.  Anyway, I scrambled to my computer and found a mix of seasonings for tacos that was rated 5 stars out of 5 by over 1600 people.  As I'm happily stirring my spices into the meat, thinking I have for sure found something WAY better than taco seasoning, I taste it and discover it is not even close. 

0 for 4.  And the husband is getting us tacos from Rosa's.  :(

So, there you go.  My yearly attempt to cook.  See you next March!

No comments: