Saturday, July 18, 2009

The First Installment of "Things My Dogs Have Taught Me About Life."


I believe that dogs are hands down the happiest species in the world. As humans, being generally discontented most of the time with what we do or do not have, I think we can learn from dogs. This is what I have come up with so far. I'm sure they will teach me more. These are all written from my dogs' perspectives. I'll leave you to draw your own parallels.

1. Protect what you love with everything you have.

2. Yes, we make mistakes and sometimes get mad at each other. But, really, we should all be just a belly scratch and a Milk Bone away from forgiveness.

3. For optimal functionality, 16 hours of sleep daily is a must.

4. The outside world is a scary place. Never go alone.

5. Love everyone, but know who feeds you, who scratches your belly, and who sneaks you food from the table. These are your true friends.

6. If the ones you love feel threatened by someone, there is probably a reason for it. Be prepared to bite that someone on their behalf.

7. If you don't take time to check out/ sniff EVERYTHING everytime you go out, how will you know if someone new has been in your vicinity?

8. Old toys that haven't been played with for a long time are just as good as new toys.

9. Find time to curl up in your favorite spot and just sit.

10. Times will come when the one you love is upset and you just can't understand why. But even though you can't say anything to help, often just nuzzling her with your nose, licking her face, and letting her cry into your fur makes it all better.