Thursday, May 22, 2008

The Sweet Spot . . .

So, I'm working on a book by Max Lucado called Cure for the Common Life: Living in Your Sweet Spot. He defines the "sweet spot" in life as the intersection of my everyday life with my strengths and God's glory. He discusses how each one of us is created with a backpack specifically packed with the tools and talents we need on our journey through life. We unpack the backpack as we go through life, discovering what we are good at and what we are passionate about.

He tells us to look back over our lives and look for those moments when we were "on fire," when we thought, "I was made for this!" or when we just felt like we were flying. He says to look back as far as we can remember.

I don't have many of those moments. Could it be that I have missed my calling all of this time?

Is this why, as much as I love kids, I am so fed up with my job, and what seems to be the entire world around me?

I desperately desire to find my sweet spot. As I've read through the first five chapters, I've tried to look back over my life and make notes in the pages of points in my life when I have felt that way, and I just can't recall many. The ones I can recall seem petty to me, like my 1st grade t-ball team winning a city championship. The examples he gave in his book included things like, "I taught a blind child to swim," or, " I stood up for a special needs kid when others were making fun of him," or "I designed a video game." I've never done anything remotely like these things. Could I possibly have been living out of someone else's bag this entire time?

I'm hoping I will gain further insight as I get farther into the book. It is surely not a coincidence that I picked up the book now, at a point in my life when I just have no idea what I should be doing. Nothing seems satisfying anymore. Not coaching, not teaching, not being a wife . . . none of those things lights my fire anymore. As I look back over seven years, I wonder if they ever did. I wish I could find someone who could tell me, "I remember the fire in your eyes when you __________________." Or, "Remember when you ___________________? I never saw you so happy before that day." Or, "Why don't you _____________________ anymore? You used to be so passionate about that!"

That's as far as I've gotten so far.

On to other topics, I had my job interview this morning. I honestly have no idea how it went. I felt like it went well, but I don't know if they felt like it went well. I'll find out next week. I sure would like the job, though. I got my new projector and document camera today, and I felt like a kid on Christmas morning!! I'm such a geek!

Till next time . . .

No comments: